Monday, September 17, 2007

My biggest enemy - gas

In my former life, pre-child, I was a journalist. I wasn't anything special, just a newspaper reporter at a small town daily. But I had my fair share of challenges and big stories. I went up against politicians and others to protect the First Amendment and preserve my strong belief in the people's right to know about their community.

Now, my biggest challenge is gas. On a daily basis, I protect my daughter's right to be gas-free, or at least to have the least amount of gas possible. It is a battle I am losing on a daily basis.

I read in a book - one of those many baby books about to be torched - that gas does not hurt a baby. That it doesn't cause them pain. Yeah - come on over to my house at 4 a.m. when my baby's curled up, kicking her legs like mad and choking out cries. I dare you to go to any mother's house when that happens and tell them scientifically gas doesn't hurt them. You will likely get that book hurled at your back as you're running out the door.

Just more proof those books are written by men who have no children.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Your new best friend - Gripe Water. It's all natural, can't hurt baby, and I LOVE IT! My little one has colic (due to all the gas in his tummy). The gripe water is a blessing. 1/2 tsp when he can't break up tose bubbles in his tummy, and in a few minutes, he will burp or fart. It's great. You can find it at BRU or a Natural Food store. You can do a google search for more info.

I am also a FTM, but I had many people tell me about this wonderful product!