Thursday, September 20, 2007

I'm not outraged

I thought I would be. I just went to Bill Maher's Web site for his HBO show Real Time. I enjoy Maher, although I think he spends WAY too much time at the Playboy mansion. Seriously, get a real job Maher.

He recently spent much of his New Rules rant on breastfeeding in public. I was all prepared to be outraged because even though I don't breastfeed, I fully support the right of women to do it wherever they choose. Women should not be required to stay home with the shades drawn until their child turns 1 (the recommended age to which women should breastfeed - per the government!).

It turns out Maher's rant wasn't as anti-breastfeeding as I thought it would be. In fact, it really wasn't anti at all. He just says women should cover up while doing it in a restaurant. Essentially to be discreet about it. I don't know a sane woman who would willingly expose her breasts in a restaurant and call it breastfeeding. Most women I know either cover up or pull down their shirt so very little skin is exposed.

He just delivers his message in typical fashion - barbed and probably a little too sharp for anyone a bit sensitive about the issue. I have to say, I'm not really outraged by it. I do find it ironic, though, coming from a man who apparently takes every opportunity he can to see breasts!

2 comments:

eskate said...

In my column today (http://www.rrstar.com/news/columnists/x2033921911), I comment on this very thing.

Women aren't trying to show their boobs when they feed their children. If it happens, it's probably an accident. Look away, and maybe even feel a little embarassed for her, just as you would if she had tucked her skirt into her pantyhose.

Anonymous said...

I disagree...just a little..there actually ARE some women who will just whip it out anywhere. I've seen it and I have been embarrassed for them. These are also probably the same women who when single, shamelessly hit on your husband/boyfriend right in front of you. I don't take it personally.