Wednesday, October 10, 2007

Toilet training from birth

The practice is called elimination communication, and there was a story about it on the Today show this morning.

I'm sorry, but these people are full of ... well, let's avoid that bad pun. There is no way this can work. How much time do you have to spend watching your infant to determine the "pee pee" face and the "poopy" face?

I can only tell when my daughter is pooing because her face gets all red and she starts grunting. I certainly can't tell BEFORE the act, only during. And to tell if they are urinating is virtually impossible. I could stare at her for ages and not determine that. One minute the diaper is clean, the next it feels like there's a brick in it.

Yeah, it would be great to not buy diapers, and to save the environment. But let's be realistic. You would spend hours of your day watching for the slightest change in expression so you could rush your baby to the toilet and dangle them over it.

Sorry, I hate to say it, but I'm going to have to destroy the environment. I can't handle elmination communication. Hell, it's hard enough to communicate with her now!

1 comment:

Sabrina said...

I am a SAHM and I could do this if I wanted to, but I don't see how anyone can pull it off. My little one still poops 6-8 times a day and every diaper is full of pee. I would never leave the bathroom. I am with you, diapers are great!