Friday, October 5, 2007

My poor, unstylish baby

I thought when I had a baby I would no longer have to worry about being stylish. I figured people would think I had my act together if my hair were even brushed and I actually had on makeup.

But I realized recently, there's a whole new game once you have a baby. Your baby must become the stylish one. Or unstylish, in our case. I learned this recently as I visited an upscale mall during the day to walk around somewhere indoors.

So we drive to this mall, mainly because it's rather ritzy and I know I can't afford anything there. I started looking around, and realized the kids were rather smartly dressed. I saw lots of cute corduroy overalls, perky jeans and even some dresses. Some of the kids were older, but a few were babies.

I looked down at my little one as she ate her bottle in the food court. She was sporting a cotton long sleeved shirt, knit pants and a no-nonsense onesie - all from Babies R Us probably - and all looking a bit disheveled as she dribbled formula down her chin. The other kids clothes were likely either from Gymboree or the even-more expensive alternative, Nordstrom's. Even Saks Fifth Avenue has baby clothes. Saks!

Now, my daughter has a few onesies from Nordstrom's, courtesy of her generous great-aunt. And, I have to say, the clothes are pretty darned cute. But when they grow out of them within a month, I'm not about to spend double on an outfit.

Although, I did spend $25 at Target for an Ohio State track suit and onesie - so I suppose it all depends on your priorities. But the bottom line is, I'd rather my baby be happy than to be super trendy. And if she's happy in her knit pants and cotton onesies, then once again, I'm happy.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Ella got some outfits from Nordstroms from an Aunt. I ended up having to put her in them and take pictures to send her. She was never going to need to dress up that much. I think she looks perfect in her BRU onsies and at least if she messes one up I don't panic.
I hope she doesn't learn to want expensive clothes for a long, long time...18 years or so!