Thursday, October 11, 2007

Balls in the air

OK, I stole that from one of my all-time favorite movies, "One Fine Day." But it's true, this whole mom thing is a juggling act, between the baby, trying to work from home and taking care of the house.

You wouldn't think it would be so difficult. My baby isn't even three months old yet, it's not like I'm chasing her around the house. She can't even roll over. And yet there are days that the clock strikes noon before I'm even out of my pajamas. Sometimes I don't brush my teeth until 4 o'clock. And I've eaten lunch one time - count it, one time - so far this week.

This week has been rougher than most - deadlines abound in my freelance gig, and we have contractors stopping by periodically to give estimates on a bathroom project. To top it all off, my worst enemy has returned - gas. My little one is in between nipple stages, which is apparently a fate worse than anything I can think of at the moment.

We seem to be getting the gas under control, and the stories are flying out the door left and right to satisfy those deadlines. I think we've seen the end of the contractor estimates for now. So the only thing left to do is - well, wash and dry the thousand bottles that have stacked up, and the laundry, and vacuuming up all the dirt tracked in by the contractors. Oh, and God only knows where the cats have left hairball presents recently.

It never ends! Where's that Calgon when you need it?

No comments: