Friday, October 5, 2007

I have a floppy-headed baby

OK, so everyone has a floppy-headed baby. That's nothing new, at least in the beginning. But my child has a rather small head (10th percentile!), so it doesn't fit in the head support that came with our car seat.

This is a particularly cruel punishment for her and for me. I sit and watch her start out a car ride perfectly fine, with her head held high. Well, as most babies do, she starts to fall asleep. Then the head slowly bobs down. She valiantly pulls it up again, fighting sleep. Soon, she can't fight any more and there goes the head, flopped down and to the side.

There is no perfect baby gadget to solve this problem. I now am the proud owner of a Snuzzler, which is supposed to support their punkin' heads. And it does pretty well. But no amount of "snuzzling" is going to keep her head up if she falls asleep and it flops down. It's the great baby mystery - how to keep their heads up.

A cashier at Babies R Us had a great idea. Someone should make a headband with velcro on the back that attaches to the carseat, keeping their head pulled back. That way, it's a bit more flexible. I think it's brilliant, and someone should design it and make millions of dollars.

And please make it before I have my next child, so I don't have to go through this torture again!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

If the Child Safety Seat is installed properly, your child’s head should not fall forward. Go to: www.800bucklup.org for more info.
Randy (A certified child passenger safety technician)