Thursday, September 27, 2007

Good times, good times

My little one isn't always a challenge. There are some moments that take me by surprise and make me belly laugh. And there are times that are so touching they make me cry.

For example, she is in love with a pair of red fake berry wreaths. I'm not kidding, she worships them. They hang on a pair of black cast iron sconces that adorn the white wall in our living room. I don't know if it's the combination of black, white and red or what, but whenever her eye catches them, she smiles. She not only smiles, her entire face lights up because they bring her so much joy.

She has the same reaction to her mobile, the aforementioned four bears and apparent monkey in their bathrobes. She adores it. Each morning when she wakes up, we say good morning to her hanging buddies and turn on the lullaby it plays. She spends the next few minutes grinning and kicking her pajama'd feet at it.

It's enough to warm your heart - although I have to say I'm a bit jealous that inanimate objects receive infinitely more adoration than her mommy. But I get my reward when someone else feeds her and her eyes are trained on me the entire time. When I leave the room, she watches me go. When I reenter, she keeps me in her sights.

Another great moment is when I blow raspberries at her. Every time, regardless of how many times I've done it, she widens her eyes and throws her hands up as if to say 'what the heck was that?' Now she's trying to blow raspberries herself. She sticks out her tongue, but she doesn't quite have the whole blowing out thing down yet.

Oh, and the funniest thing? Call me immature, it's when she burps and toots. Sometimes she has the best comedic timing, and we just devolve into laughter. She doesn't know what she's doing, but sometimes her adult-sized burps are just the thing we needed to keep us in good spirits.

No comments: