Tuesday, April 8, 2008

The Miracle of Life

A friend recently asked me to describe the miracle that is having a baby. The funny thing is, of all the topics in the world I have millions of pretty words for, this isn't one of them.

I've always been somewhat of a cynic, though my perky exterior hides it. I'm not all that much into religion (except for the little prayer I say on a plane EVERY time before it takes off - so I guess some part of me does believe in God).

But I can honestly say giving birth to a child has betrayed every cynical feeling I have about a higher power. How can it be anything other than a miracle?

Think about it - in the very beginning, you feel nothing. Yet cells are rapidly dividing within your belly, creating life where there was none before. In two month's time, you have a being no bigger than a peanut.

But 40 weeks later, you have a living, breathing life that will eventually grow and think her own thoughts and love and probably question the very same higher power that made her.

And then there are the things that can go wrong. It breaks the heart to think of babies who are born with any number of illnesses, disabilities or even worse, don't make it at all. It's these type of occurences that make you question, again, that higher power's reasoning. They are babies, after all - innocent and helpless.

And yet, many of these babies show a strength and resilience unmatched in any adult. They thrive and grow despite the obstacles they face. It has to be innate survival - they haven't learned anything yet. So they power forward, unknowing of anything different. Maybe it's an extra quality God gives them to make up for everything else.

It was a miracle for us that our Katie was pretty unscathed during her birth with the exception of a small birthmark on her shoulder blade (and a bit of reflux that still rears its ugly head sometimes).

But for all intents and purposes, she's a healthy little monkey, and every day I thank God for that. It's funny how one event in your life can change 30 years of thinking in a snap.

2 comments:

Sabrina said...

Sometimes I look at Ella and think the same thing. It amazes me that she is here. I feel very blessed.

Sabrina said...

How are you doing?