Thursday, January 24, 2008

The Radio Star And Other Random Thoughts

So I'm driving to the mall today, and the Buggles' 'Video Killed The Radio Star' came on the radio. I started to sing along (you're sad, I know, that you couldn't hear that brilliant piece of work from me).

Then I started thinking about it being the first video that MTV ever played. I mean, that's the only reason that song still exists, right? It's in the trivia annals forever for that. That got me to thinking about how MTV used to be the rebellious voice of teenagers, and how it was the anti-establishment almost 30 years ago. That's right, I said ALMOST 30 YEARS AGO.

It's no longer anti-establishment. It IS the establishment, if you look at the way music is made. Now You Tube, Napster and any other music/video-trading sites are the anti-establishment. But I thought harder (as I'm prone to do in the car with my little baby cake snoring in the back seat) - and I would challenge that MTV was never anti-establishment. It always had sponsors in the form of advertisers. You have to look no further than a couple choice Madonna videos to see how quickly MTV caved to advertisers.

And here all along I thought I was rebelling by watching MTV, switching it off slyly right before my parents walked in the door. That's what THEY wanted me to do. I wonder how my little Katie will rebel - what she'll watch or listen to. I can only hope it's nothing too offensive.

Anway, just some thoughts for a dreary Thursday.

No comments: